June 23, 2017, 09:48:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HvZ - Hofstra Vs Zombies  (Read 6837 times)
Atlas

« on: October 22, 2012, 07:05:15 AM »

Hello forum-ers, aside from the fact that this is my first post, I have been lurking here as well as few other nerf forums for quite some time now. Now I'm not an admin for the game that my college is hosting, but I'd like to think that I'm rather knowledgeable about the game type as well as nerf guns. So I'd be happy to answer any comments, questions, and concerns about the game, modding, rules, guns, ect... First off I would like establish if there's any other Hofstra students on this forum. So if your out there, please comment. Anyway the HvZ battle starts this Wednesday (October 24th) and plays on until this Sunday (October 28th). This is my first school organized zombie war, and I'm really looking forward to it. I will be using this posting space to upload progress, as well as any photos that I may have taken during the apocalypse.

My setup/rig is a bit flimsy right now, so any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Primary being my Ar removed Retaliator with a longshot handle bolted through the right side of the slide (I'm a lefty so this is ideal for me), raider stock, as well as a Longstrike front barrel that is sawed off to where the blue ends on it (So its shortened a few inches). On the bottom of the front barrel I have a singled At2k integrated into a recon light, the pump leads into the bottom of the fore-grip that the Retaliator comes with (Both pieces rest on the bottom rail of the front barrel). I have more then enough magazines to satisfy the gun so that's not an issue. I also have a Rayven that I'm planning on throwing a 9v into (Question: Seeing as 9v is over the 6v that it typically runs at, Im looking at an increase in power/range. But how long will a single 9v last me? I did a little research and saw that a typical Lithium 9v has 1200mah. I'm just not sure how fast that will drain on a gun that typically runs 4 1.5v AA's)
I'm also planning on using a drop-clip Maverick with an extra clip. Finally I also would be using my cpvc'd Scout which gets pretty decent ranges, but is accurate.

Now I'm thinking of swapping between the Rayven and the Retaliator as primaries, or do you think I should carry both as the Rayven is rather small? Has anyone battle tested a Retaliator (stock or modded) that can vouch for whether it made a formidable primary, I already know the Rayven is becoming a fan-favorite. Also I'd like to ask about clips, specifically about carrying all of them. How have you stored your clips in the past? Thats about all I have now though. Anyone have any good first time player advice? Looking forward to shooting some Zeds soon!

(Edit: One more question- What is an appropriate amount of ammunition to have per person? (I will be using "Elite" streamlines)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:12:57 AM by Atlas » Logged
torukmakto4

DANGER - Stored Energy

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 07:51:17 AM »

First of all, the 9v. Avoid this. Alkaline 9v batteries are 6 AAAA cells in a can, and they have horrible discharge rate and capacity. You won't get a meaningful performance boost from switching to one on a rayven. Lithium (primary) 9v are expensive, too expensive to be worth it. I would just bite the bullet and buy yourself a 6 to 10 cell Ni-cd or Ni-MH pack for this gun, or if you want to mess with alkaline, use more AA cells in a second cell holder.

I would primary the Rayven and use the retaliator as a secondary, and ditch both the pistols. Resist the urge to carry too many weapons; you will never use them if you have a close enough call to need them. Stick to primary/secondary and perhaps one sidearm if you have something worthy, which I am going to have to say you don't (assuming your scout doesn't shoot 80' flat like a hot NF or a panther). The space saved by losing the mav and extra cylinder could carry 4+ magazines, containing 72 rounds of ammo to be used with either of your two guns. Even the retaliator will have soundly blown that mav away in effectiveness terms by an order of magnitude.

A final word of advice, don't use elite darts. Instead, use glow streamlines which are infinitely superior in reliability.

Edit: As to ammo per person, my rule is to load out as if it's a firearm and the ammo is a consumable. Count on recovering nothing. If you pull the trigger, that is one round you no longer have. This will give you safety even in worst-case situations where you lose every dart you fire. I am usually OK with 3-4 mags on me for a mission plus my swarmy (swarmpede) and its associated bandolier, and some squadmates just run drum mags and no spares at all, but I find that mission combat around here doesn't hit ammo as hard as you would expect, aside from a few exception situations in every game. I would carry as many mags as you can without nerfing your mobility.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:01:52 AM by torukmakto4 » Logged

CT-2406
Quartermaster of the Florida 501st

You are now entering The Dart Zone
Atlas

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:07:50 AM »

I like the idea of converting the Retaliator into my secondary. I also have a handful of "hot" night finders, I just didn't think they would be as effective as I feel this game is more about rate of fire then it is range. As for the predicament with the Rayven, Do you know any common stores that would sell a Ni-MH/Ni-cd pack? Im thinking a hobby store for RC's or a Radio Shack might have it? I know I could find it online, but since the game starts in two days, instant gratification would be ideal. You also mentioned not to use Elite darts, Where could I get a steady supply of glow streamlines, as I don't think they are sold in bulk?
torukmakto4

DANGER - Stored Energy

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 08:25:18 AM »

Last I checked, Radioshack sold a 1600mah 8 cell Ni-MH/charger bundle that I strongly recommend.

Glow streamlines are available in most big box stores for a price point similar to elite darts, although in 16-round packs only (no 75/100-round cases). If you want to stock up, try looking at happyeverydaysales on ebay for factory direct 50/200 round lots of various Nerf darts including this tracer streamline in question. FYI, the reason I warn you about the elite darts is that reliability problems have hit people using them here. They may turn out to be perfectly fine given your environmental conditions and gear, but the sticky tip problems you may have heard are real and they can kill.

As to the hot NF effectiveness, range can't make something ineffective... if you are going to run a Scout that probably gets 50 flat, consider switching that to one of those NF, which will do functionally the same thing (including the same low ROF due to muzzle loading) but shoot twice the velocity assuming these are what I assume they are. While range isn't a major consideration in most HVZ situations, muzzle velocity (which is what range testing is supposed to be measuring) is - high-powered guns foil dodging, make hits much more definite and indisputable, and win firefights, so if you have an opportunity to shoot faster darts without a tradeoff in volume of fire, etc., use it.

CT-2406
Quartermaster of the Florida 501st

You are now entering The Dart Zone
Atlas

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 08:52:30 AM »

I will definitely look into the battery pack from Radio Shack, Thanks for the information on that. I don't have appropriate funding to buy a mass of the tracer darts (Broke college student Grin) So I guess I will stick to the elites that me and my roommates unknowingly purchased a hefty amount of. I assume that adding a bead of glue in the elites will only make them shoot more accurately, and wont cure the sticky tip problem?

As for the advice about pistols, thank you. I didn't think of it that way. I'll put the finishing tweaks on my night-finder seeing as that is a better option then the scout. To be honest, I favored the Scout simply because it looked cool. Especially because the night-finder has a secret strike pocket blaster integrated into the handle. (Remake of Secret Strike 1 using up to date guns)
ArcAngelXVI

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 01:14:05 PM »

I will definitely look into the battery pack from Radio Shack, Thanks for the information on that. I don't have appropriate funding to buy a mass of the tracer darts (Broke college student Grin) So I guess I will stick to the elites that me and my roommates unknowingly purchased a hefty amount of. I assume that adding a bead of glue in the elites will only make them shoot more accurately, and wont cure the sticky tip problem?

As for the advice about pistols, thank you. I didn't think of it that way. I'll put the finishing tweaks on my night-finder seeing as that is a better option then the scout. To be honest, I favored the Scout simply because it looked cool. Especially because the night-finder has a secret strike pocket blaster integrated into the handle. (Remake of Secret Strike 1 using up to date guns)

While I agree with Toruk's advice on your pistol being a "hot" NF rather than a Scout, I'd personally ditch both for something with rapid-fire, multi-shot capabilities. The problem I see with single shot pistols (even when couplered and made for speedloaders) is they're horribly inefficient compared to a turret based gun such as a Tek 6 or Spectre when dealing with multiple targets. That, and zombies who know you only have one sit will take advantage of that in an instant.

That being said, if you *do* run the NF, I would suggest converting it to run speedloaders (pre-loaded barrels) which can be swapped out via a CPVC coupler mounted to the plunger tube. Allows faster reloads and potentially higher ranges than using the stock tapered barrel (which is around ~2"). If you don't have time now, it's a project for your next game. And the CPVC barrels are cheap enough to potentially be considered disposable should you ever be in such a frantic situation that you lose them.

Moderator @ SUNY Stony Brook Spring 2013

Hate Team R&D / Intelligence Group

Mission Loudout:
Stryfe PDW (NSR 3005 w/ Neo-magnet Swap, Microswitch replacement, 14.8 LiPo)
Sweet Revenge (AR Delete)
Ultra-low profile belt rig
liquidjakecloud

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 11:59:25 PM »

I almost shat a brick when I read this. I am also going to Hofstra. I have a few guns but most likely are going to stick with a mavaric and my sock stockpile unless on a mission then I might pack a longstrike or one of my recons (I also got a buzz bee shotgun before they made it look like a Olimpia but that seems more trouble then its worth) . I say we squad up.
Atlas

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 05:27:13 AM »

Without a doubt we will squad up. Do you need help modding any of your guns or anything? I'm going to be doing some tweaking to the arsenal within the next few days. So your more then welcome to come over and mod your stuff too. Might I ask what year your in? I'm a freshman. 
liquidjakecloud

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 03:02:02 AM »

im a freshman too, some mod help would be appriciated lol all mine are unmodded though I was thinking of using socks more. Im in vanderpole by the way
Atlas

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 01:21:31 PM »

What guns do you have? Because can help you with pretty much any gun you come with. Socks are definitely good, the only thing I'd be worried about it losing them. A good idea is to use a sock flail: Balled up sock(s) put into the bottom of a tube sock and used like a whip. I'm in Amsterdam over in South Netherlands. Shoot me a PM on here if you have any questions.
liquidjakecloud

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 06:08:21 PM »

i got 2 recon pistols
1 maverok
1 longstrike
1 night strike
and a buzz bee double barrel
Deathwish

RHUL HvZ

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 08:58:40 PM »

When I run my Firestrike, I usually run something else with it at the same time, usually my Strongarm as it's easy to dodge one dart, not so easy to dodge two. I also do have a thing for dual-wielding, but that is me.

Primary: Elite Rayven - Bella
Secondary: Sweet Revenge/SideStrike
Darts, darts and even more darts.

Armoury: Sonic Longstrike w/ OMW Polycarb., 5kg Spring, Xplorer Rapid-fire Grip - Sasha
Zombie Role: Scout (Diversion)

Why Deathwish? Not a clue.
BxViciouz

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 09:57:33 PM »

anyone still active in this thread? looking for a game in the nyc/westchester/LI area
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.