October 25, 2014, 08:17:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strike Team  (Read 3092 times)
Rock

« on: November 18, 2012, 05:48:52 PM »

I have recently been elected as president of the HvZ game at the college which i attend. Anyways last semester we tried to enable a independent group called the "STRIKE TEAM". They would basically have a neutral side where they would stun zombies  if need be but would take out humans if the humans disobeyed an order by the strike team like to retreat back to the dorm after a curfew or the humans just attack the strike team they could engage the humans. There biggest role came in the missions. It is a little bit of a rough idea but i think with some feedback and ideas from anyone, it can be a really fun aspect. Feel free to put any feedback positive or negative.
Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 06:58:56 PM »

Eh, I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of this. For one, human vs human combat is always chaotic and messy; not certain it's worth it. Plus, I don't like the idea of a team being able to order humans around. As long as humans aren't violating university policy, they should really be allowed to do whatever they want.

Hunting Grounds: Truman State University, Kirksville, MO

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
5.) Play Like You've Got A Pair
Rock

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:59:07 PM »

All problems which we have encountered and have tried to figure out solutions for. It is a pretty tough concept to incorporate into the game with out compromising the game. Even if we do scratch this idea completely i would still like to incorporate some idea of a third party being involved in the game. Any Ideas?
Catastrophe
* Game Organizer

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 11:09:36 PM »

What about this: The strike team (give it a cooler name, btw) can 'stun' humans by hitting them with darts. Humans hit with darts from them are stuck with one knee on the ground for x seconds. Humans can stun the strike team the same way. However, the only way the strike team is killed is if a zombie tags them. The strike team can stun zombies normally.

Lindenwood University, St. Charles, MO
Game Administrator Spring '12 - Spring '13
Game Moderator Fall '13 - Fall '14 (semi-retired)
Masturcief42

lol I'm teh mastur cief!

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 11:21:27 PM »

What about this: The strike team (give it a cooler name, btw) can 'stun' humans by hitting them with darts. Humans hit with darts from them are stuck with one knee on the ground for x seconds. Humans can stun the strike team the same way. However, the only way the strike team is killed is if a zombie tags them. The strike team can stun zombies normally.
How about the only way for them to be killed is for humans to stun them and have zombies kill them? Add a bit more co-op?

Go save lives, donate blood.
Catastrophe
* Game Organizer

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 02:16:40 AM »

How about the only way for them to be killed is for humans to stun them and have zombies kill them? Add a bit more co-op?
Oops, I meant for it to be that way. But yea, it adds an element of both sides working together, even though the humans wouldn't let a zombie get close to them.

Rock

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 04:17:14 PM »

I like the idea of stunning of the humans by putting down on one knee for x amount of seconds and how zombies of course are stunned normally. However what happens if all of the strike team dies. Rather maybe they have a stun time like the zombies? Also can the humans that are on one knee, can they use a weapon?
Catastrophe
* Game Organizer

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 08:23:54 PM »

Yes, humans that are stunned can still fire and scavenge ammo. They just can't move, which is one of their biggest advantages to zombies (I'm sure the zombies on the forum would tell you that tagging a stationary target is much easier than tagging a moving one).

Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 12:30:11 AM »

Yes, humans that are stunned can still fire and scavenge ammo. They just can't move, which is one of their biggest advantages to zombies (I'm sure the zombies on the forum would tell you that tagging a stationary target is much easier than tagging a moving one).

Depends on how well supported and armed said target is. Alone, and not armed to the teeth? Certainly. Supported by unstunned humans? Meh, not a huge advantage.

All problems which we have encountered and have tried to figure out solutions for. It is a pretty tough concept to incorporate into the game with out compromising the game. Even if we do scratch this idea completely i would still like to incorporate some idea of a third party being involved in the game. Any Ideas?

Depends what you mean by "third party." Do you want it to be a true neutral faction, looking out for itself and nobody else? You could put in a small squad of NPCs to directly compete with the humans on objectives, though it'd be difficult to have them interact with zeds in any meaningful capacity. Do you want them more of a mercenary squad? That's easy to do; if humans hire them, they stun zeds, and if zeds hire them, they mess with human objectives (similar to above). Or how about an "invisible" faction that both sides can make use of (isn't exclusive to one side or another)? Could do things like giving intelligence, or upgrades to either side; honestly sounds a lot like a cash shop implementation.

Hunting Grounds: Truman State University, Kirksville, MO

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
5.) Play Like You've Got A Pair
Rock

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 02:26:24 AM »

Their biggest impact i think should be during the missions. They will have their own objectives. I would like for those objectives to cause conflicts and twist within the missions to create chaos forcing the humans as well as the zombies to both think quick on their feet as they attempt to complete their objectives successfully. Outside of missions where most of the game play occurs i think they should be aggressive to stun both zombies and humans but at the same time keep them selves alive. I'm honestly just looking for the best way to establish a third independent party that will interact with players on both sides. However at the same I want to prevent players from complaining that the third party is favoring one side.
Chevalier Mal Fet
* Game Organizer

PREPARE FOR TROUBLE

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 12:12:09 PM »

Depends what you mean by "third party." Do you want it to be a true neutral faction, looking out for itself and nobody else? You could put in a small squad of NPCs to directly compete with the humans on objectives, though it'd be difficult to have them interact with zeds in any meaningful capacity. Do you want them more of a mercenary squad? That's easy to do; if humans hire them, they stun zeds, and if zeds hire them, they mess with human objectives (similar to above). Or how about an "invisible" faction that both sides can make use of (isn't exclusive to one side or another)? Could do things like giving intelligence, or upgrades to either side; honestly sounds a lot like a cash shop implementation.

Ooooh, a brilliant idea. If the zombles hire the mercs, they can send them out to harass or even capture weakly-defended human objectives. Stunned humans can't shoot, only run, and have to return to HQ or some nonsense to get healed. Like, in a node mission, the humans can only respawn at a node under their control. Don't have one? Better hope their buddies capture one fast. Or in a CTF, they respawn at the flag, etc, etc.

Hehehe. Defenseless humans runnin' around all over the place.

Om nom, kiddos.

Screw those lists of blasters. Being a zombie is just better.
yuiikari

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 01:35:08 AM »

Western's run third faction games in three different ways.

The first is to split humans into roughly equal sized teams at the start; any human shot by the opposing team is only allowed to pistols and grenades until respawn (which is every fifteen minutes, on the hour for us).  By doing that, human on human combat carries a cost (there are also some currency related effects, but that's a larger issue entirely), while not making it prohibitive.  The teams are usually working together by week's end regardless of events.  This makes the early week a little more exciting for humans, as well as a little easier for zombies.

The second involved equipping a special zombie faction with pistols and grenades (The Reavers, ala Firefly), who could only tag wounded humans, and were technically their own side (I don't know all of the mechanics as I was only on the ground for one night), but it was fun enough.  They may have also had their own unique specials, but that might have just been in the planning stages.

The third way involved not really telling the players that there was a secret traitor faction within their numbers (there were hints, and some special side missions that would have revealed more, but no humans actually paid attention), and said group technically won without anyone really knowing.  The point is, not telling your playerbase what's going on can be a huge mistake.

Western Invitational II has ended a success.  Thank you to Ball State, Perdue and the other attendees that helped make it a smashing success.  We'll meet again next year, same Bat-Time, same Bat-Channel.
Tarkanos
* Game Organizer

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 03:46:18 PM »

I can tell you exactly how well that worked out for a school near us. NC state had the Rogue Squad. Rogue Squad could stun humans, taking away their ability to use weapons. Rogue squad immediately paired up with the zombies and spent the next days painfully screwing over the humans.
BluEncore
* Game Organizer

SCAD HvZ - VIGIL Eternal

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 09:30:49 AM »

It depends on the power of these humans. At SCAD there's a similar group made up of mods that goes by a different name each year. They can be stunned by zombies instead of being converted, however, they have no control over humans whatsoever, and I quite like it that way. If zombies are doing too well, they step up to give human players confidence. If the humans are doing too well, they simply moderate and don't play.

The potential of a true third-party is an appealing one, but you need to be very careful with the people you pick. Being able to kill humans and zombies alike is a very difficult power to balance for an individual.

Honorary Member of Human Clan VIGIL
SCAD HvZ Gameplay Committee 2012-2013
SCAD HvZ Gameplay Coordinator 2014
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.