October 22, 2014, 05:36:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Zombie Proms anyone?  (Read 2444 times)
Ophelia

« on: November 19, 2012, 08:29:22 PM »

Hi I'm a moderator for HvZ up at Western Washington University. I'm also co-chair of the social plannings committee. Every year since we became a recognized club by our school we host a "Zombie prom" (awesome dance) for our players and their friends which tends to generate more interest in the game.

Here is where your help comes in:
Each Zombie Prom we host has its own theme. Last year's was "Black, White, and Dead". Any theme ideas? or ideas in general about making this an awesome party? I am 100% open to suggestions!

Thanks for your help in advanced!

PS. I've attached an example poster from one of the dances.

* HVZ Zombie prom.jpg (330.96 KB, 2048x1325 - viewed 210 times.)
Mr. Three
* Game Organizer

13+ Game Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 01:41:23 AM »

1.) Spike the punch. 750 mL of Everclear for every 5 gallons should be fair.
Right, official college party, probably not a good idea.

Theme ideas:
Thriller/Michael Jackson is always on the table.
Bloody something or another, copious amounts of fake blood everywhere. Fake blood water balloon fight? Brain-shaped foods everywhere.
Zombie-cross dressing?
What really goes on in FEMA death camps (lulz, works better if your playerbase is informed enough not to believe in those)?
An X-Files episode.

Then again I don't know shit about hosting parties for sober people. The formula is pretty much: Happy dance music transitioning into dirty rap with some (sadly) ironic rock songs thrown in between so hipsters and women have time to take retarded pictures of themselves for Facebook that they'll later try to bury/untag between awkward, mass-participatory hooch-fueled grinding episodes.

Lighting (low, ambient; dark but not rape-y) is key, a fog machine would be super, and bubble machines are also badass and give ADD people a way to interact, which describes/serves a huge sector of the HvZ demographic.

Musically, if you're going with a Zombie Prom, you gotta have some "conventionally dark" shit in there. White/Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson (composed several awesome tracks on the Resident Evil  [Movie] Soundtrack for reference, which Savage sampled in Swing and Lil' Wyte sampled heavily in Oxy Cotton), ya know, spooky stuff. But not too spooky like Lustmord. Unless you're going for that, in which case I applaud your balls/ovaries and taste. There's also a few 'classic' Zombie-themed songs that should be in there (probably) that I hate and won't name (you can't dance to any of them, anyway). You can hire a DJ, but they're expensive and now that everyone has laptops, overrated.

Drinks and food wise, keep those in a relatively well lit area because people have an aversion to eating/drinking what they can't see. Bulk 2 Liters of common sodas and plastic/paper cups with bags of ice can keep most people happy if it is determined that a punch bowl is too much of a potential hazard (probably is more trouble than worth). Sugary foods are best. No Twinkies, sadly. No one ever seems to agree on meats (meatballs v lil smokies v sliced salami) but cheddar and crackers is universally appreciated. Having water available might be good as well, since people overdo it at times and all it takes is one neckbeard sans inhaler to trigger a trip to the medic, as we've seen countless times in HvZ.

Berea College, KY
Proud member of Z Squad
Quote from: Dyslexda
Water on darts? Certainly would be banned
But now I'm mad that I got trolled so I'm going to ban you anyway.
Sixth Kira

"I'll take this potato chip... and I'll eat it!"

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 10:10:23 PM »

Sounds like a great idea! Although I just feel obliged to throw in a musical recommendation here - Heimataerde. They're a German Gothic Dance group who do some seriously epic music ('Dark Dance' is a perfect song for a prom like this). Gotta love the Germans...

Anyway, as for themes, I think that something blood-oriented is always fun. Or take another route and go for the 'last survivors' idea (lots of ramshackle, apparently-worn decor and 'rations', etc. - this will have to be pulled off VERY well, however).

Wearer of the great and mighty longcoat. Worship my coat and all it stands for, gentlemen.

"Sir, how many darts does this blaster fire per second?"

"all of them"
Bobololo
* Forum Moderator

I Will End You

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 04:31:00 AM »

Cannibal Corpse. Lots of Cannibal Corpse
Slow dancing doesn't compare to a moshpit

The YouTube Channel
Quote from: Daniel Beaver
You may think it's mean of me to shit all over your creative vision, but rest assured that shit is an awesome fertilizer for the muse of the mind.
Long live the Horsemen and hail Satan.
SubjectOmega

T.W.O. Undead Threat Elimination Division

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 06:56:28 AM »

Cannibal Corpse. Lots of Cannibal Corpse
Slow dancing doesn't compare to a moshpit

and for maximum non-team-biased moshing music, you could also play some zed's dead Cheesy

"Am I tacticool yet?"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.