August 19, 2017, 10:55:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28
  Print  
Author Topic: The Nerf Blaster Buying Guide  (Read 189288 times)
URX

A zombie bird. Don't ask.

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 01:24:52 AM »

I don't mean to boast, but I know a guy who has hooked up a Vulcan belt to his blow gun, getting twice the firing speed of a non-modded Vulcan.  He's a tenor though, so he has lung strength up the wazoo.  It gets ranges in the 60-70 foot range. 

My 'veppins:  Rapid-fire 20, "Not Yours" with Zombie killmarkers, a blowgun as long as a longshot, a NERF football and a crap-ton of socks.
HunterRequiem

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 01:48:00 AM »

Interesting.  You guys should start a blow gun thread.
Actually, a tip for the Vulcan, if you buy the vulcan dart refills with the orange tips and black foam bodies, you get a solid 15-20 feet of extra range.
My team's vulcaneer can actually provide overwatch now because he's got such long reach with his piece.

Adrien Young (call sign - Minstrel)
UCSC Survivor Commander
Squad - Hunter
Role - Ranger
Loadout - Longshot, Deploy
McLeodicus

Needs to work on his cardio.

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 04:55:03 PM »

If anyone knows, is it more cost effective to buy Nerf's darts or make homemade stefans?

Human Survival Record: Wednesday
Zombie Feasting Record: 12
broken

Accuracy Through Volume

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 03:29:41 AM »

stefans by a large margin

Purdue HvZ
Fall '09, Spring'11 - Extracted | Spring '10, Fall '10, Fall'11 - Turned at extraction | Spring '12 - Moderator | Fall '12 - IT Committee Head | Spring '13 - Turned at extraction | Fall '13 - Turned at extraction

Primaries: Rapidstrike, Blowgun
Secondaries: Stormfire, Socks
J2thaP063

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 01:12:19 AM »

I would like to intoduce my own personal "Class". I call it the "Warmongerer"
Primary:
Longshot w/o AR
Secondary:
Firefly (Heavily Modded so that glow-in-the dark capacities are removed and "Streamline" darts fit in the chamber an on the stock)
Auxillary:
5 total clips. 4 with seven darts in each, and the one in the Longshot with six. (Yes, I can get that 7th dart in those clips just fine without jamming them, thank you! :p ).
8 Streamline darts in the stock of the Firefly.
Sock Grenades galore.

I'll be faster and stonger, fight harder, live longer, there's nothing I can't overcome.
Wisp

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 11:49:39 PM »

And by heavily modded you mean you can turn the switch off, and maybe put some petg barrels to replace the stock one? That's basic modification.
I don't know why you'd do that anyway, streamlines aren't great.
Gaeth

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 01:17:41 AM »

I don't know why you'd do that anyway, streamlines aren't great.

Better than suctions. And some games don't allow stefans.

i used a spring thingymagigy

Range: Nitefinder
Close Quarters: Deploy
Sidearm: Recon
Socks: Socks
Last ditch: SSPB

Team Cyborg

GO SQUAD PLAGUE ON WHEELS!
Wisp

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 01:08:06 AM »

Better than suctions. And some games don't allow stefans.

Streamlines tend to go crazy when fired, and curve down or up or to the side. If you're using stock darts, use whistlers or taggers.
reko0418

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 08:13:10 PM »

Streamlines tend to go crazy when fired, and curve down or up or to the side. If you're using stock darts, use whistlers or taggers.
totally true.
i hate how my longshot can only take streamlines but am to much of a wuss to try and work aorund it.

Primary: Stryfe of Badassary!
Secondary: pair of Strongarms
last resort: Dual Triads!
Dastardly

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 01:25:50 PM »

Even just adding a single BB to the tip (you can get it in there) will stabilize them quite a bit without making them dangerous.

It's just about making the tip weigh a bit more, so the balance point of the dart is right behind the tip, rather than 1/3 of the way down the dart.
Rosewater
* Forum Moderator

Moderator & Invitational Evangelist

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 05:58:51 PM »

Even just adding a single BB to the tip (you can get it in there) will stabilize them quite a bit without making them dangerous.

It's just about making the tip weigh a bit more, so the balance point of the dart is right behind the tip, rather than 1/3 of the way down the dart.

Some schools, like mine, have strict policies against weighting darts with metal objects. Doing that stuff really won't amount to any extra probability of survival anyway and it's a conversation none of us want to have with our school's administration.

"So you shoot metal BBs at each other?"
"Well...not exactly?"

John Mortara - Penn State Alumnus
- First-Annual Penn State Invitational Organizer 2010
- Very good-looking

Need help starting a regional/invitational game? Email me!

Quote from: Cweed
That's fucked up
Dastardly

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 10:10:24 AM »

In the same way as with a modified Maverick, if folks can't visibly tell it's modified, and there is no difference in how it feels, it's a non-issue.  You don't advertise, "Oh, I've removed the air restrictors from this blaster to increase the velocity of my darts." 

But really, if it's an issue, you can fill the tips with expanding foam, or hot glue, or anything else you find yourself able to work in there to add weight to the hollow tip of the streamline.  Nothing will make contact with the target, it's still within the flattened head. 

The #1 thing to keep in mind when altering ammo (if you do) is safety.  And the #1 thing to consider about safety is how the round will deliver energy.  People seem to think a rounded tip is somehow safer, but they are very incorrect.

A rounded tip (like a hot-glue dome, popular with homemade darts) is essentially the same as a pointed dart with an infinitely-small tip.  All of the energy of the dart is delivered via that one point, so it is far more likely to cause damage.  A flat tip on the dart increases the surface area across which that energy is delivered.  Same mass, same speed, safer spread.  As long as the tip of the dart remains flat (as in a NERF streamline), adding a little bit of weight will not make the dart unsafe, or even more "painful."  It will just stabilize the flight of the dart, making it more accurate (but possibly reducing raw range slightly, depending on the power of the gun). 

All of this is just to reassure the USER.  As far as other need be concerned, it's just like any other dart... it'll feel like one, it'll look like one.  It'll just fly a bit straighter.
J2thaP063

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 01:01:10 PM »

@Whisp-The reason why I made my Firefly be able to use the streamlines is because I didn't want to have to deal with the hassle of buying and handleing two types of darts. Besides, because of the recent rise in NERF's clip-fed guns, the streamlines are much more available. Personally, I think a dart is a dart. I don't want to spend so much time modifying my darts when they are such a small part of the game. Darts get lost/misplaced/stolen all the time, I don't want to invest in something so temporary. Besides, even in real life, no gun is 100% accurate. I prefer the slightly realistic feel that 1 shot won't neceseraly mean 1 kill...or two shots for that matter...or maybe even three....

I'll be faster and stonger, fight harder, live longer, there's nothing I can't overcome.
kidwithdog

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 12:17:16 AM »

i would highly reccomend tek 10's over mavericks for secondary weapons
they have about the same range though less accurate it does hold more rounds and jam less i prefer it much more as my back up
Ozymandias

I met a survivor from Zombieland...

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 10:58:12 PM »

Hmm...

Personally, I am packing 2 Sawed-Off Vulcans, 2 NiteFinders, a blowgun, and 122 darts all together... what does that make me? ( besides awesome  Cool )

Here at A&M, we have the Corp of Cadets, and some of those guys go fricking nuts on this stuff; I'm talkin 300+ darts and Loadouts the likes of which outnumber those of some smaller campuses.

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Dallas Metroplex, Texas
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.