June 25, 2017, 11:40:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bandanna Colors  (Read 3336 times)
Grath

« on: March 07, 2013, 04:52:10 PM »

I'm a mod up here in the frozen north at SUNY Potsdam's Humans vs Zombies game.

The good news is, game's not banned, we aren't having issues with using Nerf Guns, only issues we've been having are stupid players running inside buildings (but we've been working with the campus to an extent that satisfies them on that issue).

We just had someone file a complaint with University Police because we're using red bandannas, since those are "gang colors". (Side note: This is a remarkably peaceful town/campus, although there have been occasional gang-related incidents at a neighboring college in the next town over. Gangs aren't a problem here, actual serious crime around here is pretty much people smuggling things across the nearby Canadian border and hunters poaching deer and/or shooting eachother by accident.) For now, with permission from the campus, we're ignoring it until after this current game is over and we have a follow-up meeting with campus administrators on Monday.

Has anyone else had to change bandanna colors because of something like this?
Deathwish

RHUL HvZ

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 07:57:54 PM »

Out of the colours I have seen used in Headbands, Red is a bad one. If it's not for gang colours, it'll be because you can't tell who is playing and who isn't, because it seems to come up on hats, and sleeve quite a lot anyways. Gold isn't as bad, unless it is sunny or you have orange street-lighting everywhere.

Go for something flourescent. And if you have players who complain it is too visible, in my last game, we had someone managing to hide so well the moderators didn't realise the tag had happened until the brain tag was being asked for!

Primary: Elite Rayven - Bella
Secondary: Sweet Revenge/SideStrike
Darts, darts and even more darts.

Armoury: Sonic Longstrike w/ OMW Polycarb., 5kg Spring, Xplorer Rapid-fire Grip - Sasha
Zombie Role: Scout (Diversion)

Why Deathwish? Not a clue.
torukmakto4

DANGER - Stored Energy

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:37:18 PM »

Orange works well. So does that Day-Glo nasty eye-stabbing fluorescent yellow/green used on traffic safety vests and such.

CT-2406
Quartermaster of the Florida 501st

You are now entering The Dart Zone
Grath

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 08:46:01 PM »

Well, currently I have no idea what the campus administration thinks of this whole mess, other than not thinking it's such an issue to require us to switch bandanna colors in the middle of the game. I'm mainly trying to see if this has happened to other people, getting a request to change the bandanna color, and if so what's happened. I want to avoid switching bandanna colors if we can, just because it'll cost us mods a pretty big initial cost (since we already have had to buy red bandannas, our stock of which would now be useless, because local stores basically don't carry solid-color bandannas) to stock enough bandannas to switch every player over to a new bandanna color.

I don't know why we used red bandannas to start with, but we've been using red bandannas at least since the game started back up here (~2010) so we've got a fairly established core that've gone through and have their bandannas, plus the various people with sentimental meaning to their bandannas - One now-mostly-defunct squad put a black stripe on their bandannas, some people have been going through and keeping stun / tag tallies on their bandannas, etc. Red showing up in stuff has been a bit of an issue, moreso this game since it's still cold so people have been wearing winter hats, with a lot of red hats (or worse, one non-player has a winter hat with a red stripe right where a headband would be), but I don't think there's actually been any incidents because of it.

This is the first semester that anyone's commented about red being a "gang color", and like I said - we're in the middle of nowhere, there's no real gang activity up here other than the occasional few gang members from New York City going to SUNY Canton (next town over, ~15 minute drive away).
JPRoth1980

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 11:43:07 AM »

At TAMU the mods allow any sort of bandana to be used.  I myself have red, two shades of blue, and white.

If the mods were to require a particular shade of bandana to be used, I would expect them to be provided, if only because I have no way of knowing where to find a bandana (the red and white were literally in the last package available at my local Target).  People who think it's gang-related genuinely need to relax.
Grath

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 12:48:33 PM »

At TAMU the mods allow any sort of bandana to be used.  I myself have red, two shades of blue, and white.

If the mods were to require a particular shade of bandana to be used, I would expect them to be provided, if only because I have no way of knowing where to find a bandana (the red and white were literally in the last package available at my local Target).  People who think it's gang-related genuinely need to relax.

We allow red paisley-patterned bandannas, which are easier to find, and provide red bandannas to players for $1 (which is mostly just to cover our costs on buying the bandannas ourselves).

I hope (and suspect) that our meeting with the administration will be "Yeah, there aren't gangs up here, and nobody can seriously think a bunch of nerds running around with toy blasters is gang-related, but we have to have a meeting about it due to bureaucracy", but I just want to be prepared since my moderator role is "campus ambassador", even though I haven't actually had to meet with campus administration yet. (Doesn't help that this meeting is with one of the few higher-ups in the campus administration that I don't personally know already.)
broken

Accuracy Through Volume

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 11:34:14 AM »

Assuming your budget allows it, our club just provides all of ours players with a strip of orange fabric to use as a band. I know that Ball State uses a bright green as their players bands.

Purdue HvZ
Fall '09, Spring'11 - Extracted | Spring '10, Fall '10, Fall'11 - Turned at extraction | Spring '12 - Moderator | Fall '12 - IT Committee Head | Spring '13 - Turned at extraction | Fall '13 - Turned at extraction

Primaries: Rapidstrike, Blowgun
Secondaries: Stormfire, Socks
Walljack47

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 04:13:31 AM »

We've actually tried a number of colors, and had issues with others. We started with a teal color, but then noticed too many non-players wore it. When we talked to our campus security (whom we're actually pretty tight with, most of them enjoy watching, and have repeated stuck up for us when complaints come in). They had issues with both red and blue (for the gang related issues). We were told not to use oragne, because "its a color worn by hunters and you don't want to send the wrong message". We were also banned from day-glo green because thats the safety jacket color they wear (I'm not sure how that works but we didnt want to argue.) We settled on a bright yellow. As for the cost, we ordered it bulk online (I'll see if I can't get the link later), and asked that players donate a dollar to help off set the cost to the mods, but knowing most of our players are broke college kids, not all are able, sometimes we just got spare change, and once in a while someone drops a fiver because they are awesome. I don't know how long your game is, but if you got less then a week left, I wouldnt change. We had enough trouble switching from one game to the next (people wearing the wrong color bands or complaining they didnt stunn a zombie because they forgot which color blah blah blah I'm a whiny player whaa!). Try to look around and find a color people don't wear alot on your campus, because whatever color you choice, you will become hyper aware of it, and those who do wear that don't play will probabily stop. (We had an issue when some womens sports team decided to wear the same color banadas for team support...after a day or two of them nearly get shot by blasters, they changed their color.) Sorry if this is long, but I hope you find it helpfull
Grath

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 01:18:40 AM »

UPDATE: We had the meeting with the campus administrator guy on Monday. He agreed that we don't need to change the armband colors just because one person thought they were gang colors.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.