February 23, 2018, 04:09:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Way Out For Fun-Hating JerkFaces--A Potential Vaccine?  (Read 3986 times)
J2thaP063

« on: November 13, 2009, 12:34:51 PM »

Hey, I am conceptualizing the possible Spring Semester game here at University of South Carolina (provided we get it approved and all..) And I was wondering what the Community thought about an idea that I had: Introducing a Vaccine.

Now, like all vaccines this would prevent infection....not death. So while a human that has been vaccinated would not turn, he/she would not be re-animated after a zombie tags the player, and the zombie will still be fed. I would see this as being incorporated in a finial mission (all the human resistance report to a central location where an air dropped vaccine is located) to get those people who have been hiding in thier dorms to come out. A vaccinated person would be identified with a sticker or stamp (that has been customized to prevent cheating) placed on their ID. I personally will NOT be getting the vaccine, and I believe that anyone who has any honor will not either. I just want to incorporate the vaccine into the game so that those kids who will get their feelings hurt that they are "zombiefied" will have a way out. That way, they can think that they "won".  Also, these kids are probably anti-social which isn't cool because HvZ supports an active community of students getting out and getting to know eachother, so by them dying and not zombiefying they are essentially leaving the game without being kicked out because they are a downer (which I think should be a good reason to be evicted from the game, :p j/k).

The whole idea is this: By introducing a vaccine, people who are "playing" the game (but not playing it to its full extent) will have a way out while still being food for a zombie. The end result would be a uniqe mission which leaves those who choose to take the vaccine a way to quietly leave the game and not be a sore zombie when they die.

Ok, now I want to read some thoughts. Show me some critique HvZ Community!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 11:50:36 AM by Sklover » Logged

I'll be faster and stonger, fight harder, live longer, there's nothing I can't overcome.
ritHvZack

Eveyone has HvZ in them, some just dont know it.

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 12:42:37 PM »

I see what your doing there but I dont like the idea of those fun haters being validated with a game given excuse.  I like to think that a little peer pressure to stop being a sour loser is a good idea and might help them grow.

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.
-John Quincy Adams
J2thaP063

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 03:11:13 PM »

Yeah, I agree, I'm just worried about "That One Kid" who doesn't understand the difference between supportive peer pressure in fun, and coersive persuasion. Like I said, it is just a concept, and to tell the truth, it may just be sratched. If it is going to be used, it would be later on as we get more games established only as a part of the mission story lines, but with no physical reward.

I'll be faster and stonger, fight harder, live longer, there's nothing I can't overcome.
Mephiston-IA
* Game Organizer

By the blood of Sanguinius I swear it will be done

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 07:09:46 PM »

i think that they should...well i'll re-word what i think.

i think that they should grow up a bit, who cares if you get turned into a zombie?
either way you can still work your ass off to win, whether as a zombie trying to turn the humans, or as a human trying not to get zombified.

i mean really whats the point of playing if you're not willing to become a zombie after being tagged.

personally i'd kick the person from the game, because the attitude would bring the spirit of the game down, and personally i view it as a violation of the don't be D-Bag rule.

'i want to play, but i don't want to have to follow ALL of the rules' is basically what some one like that is saying.

http://forums.humansvszombies.org/index.php/topic,613.msg3835.html#msg3835
If you want a tactics/strategy specific area, follow the link and show your support.
Thesreyn

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 06:24:47 AM »

Anyone who gets tagged should (theoretically) be food for a zombie no matter what. That's the way the game runs with the ID cards and reporting kills. Unless a human point-blank refuses to hand over their ID card after being tagged, then a zombie should always be fed regardless of whether the vaccine is in place.

Players who don't want to play once they become a zombie will always be there. For example, I was essentially the zombie leader for the ANU game and on the final day (Saturday) we had around 50 zombies... out of around 170 people who were turned and still fed. Now I realise some people had to work, or go home because they live on campus or the like, but my point is that people who don't want to play as a zombie will be there. Every time.

This sort of situation isn't just reserved for humans either. As much as you'd like, you can tell humans not to aid zombies, but there are going to be players who just want to be zombies and will go in search of getting tagged so they can be. This will be less frequent than players dropping out because they've become zombies but it's still there.

I wouldn't recommend doing anything for these people except reinforcing the idea of how fun playing both sides is and trying to get them to realise that some of the most fun you'll have in HvZ is as a Zombie. It's an ENTIRELY different game from the zombie perspective.

tl;dr Don't validate them. They're being jerks.
Mephiston-IA
* Game Organizer

By the blood of Sanguinius I swear it will be done

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 01:15:49 AM »

Anyone who gets tagged should (theoretically) be food for a zombie no matter what. That's the way the game runs with the ID cards and reporting kills. Unless a human point-blank refuses to hand over their ID card after being tagged, then a zombie should always be fed regardless of whether the vaccine is in place.

Players who don't want to play once they become a zombie will always be there. For example, I was essentially the zombie leader for the ANU game and on the final day (Saturday) we had around 50 zombies... out of around 170 people who were turned and still fed. Now I realise some people had to work, or go home because they live on campus or the like, but my point is that people who don't want to play as a zombie will be there. Every time.

This sort of situation isn't just reserved for humans either. As much as you'd like, you can tell humans not to aid zombies, but there are going to be players who just want to be zombies and will go in search of getting tagged so they can be. This will be less frequent than players dropping out because they've become zombies but it's still there.

I wouldn't recommend doing anything for these people except reinforcing the idea of how fun playing both sides is and trying to get them to realise that some of the most fun you'll have in HvZ is as a Zombie. It's an ENTIRELY different game from the zombie perspective.

specifically aimed at the last line.
thank you.

but i don't have much of a problem, w/ someone wanting to be a zombie, because the zombie side is most of the attraction for some people, other wise it's just shooting unarmed people w/ nerf blasters... and should just be called, 'tag the guy w/ the nerf blaster'

http://forums.humansvszombies.org/index.php/topic,613.msg3835.html#msg3835
If you want a tactics/strategy specific area, follow the link and show your support.
HunterRequiem

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 05:55:18 PM »

I can't agree more.  People who don't want to play the whole game shouldn't play in the first place.

Adrien Young (call sign - Minstrel)
UCSC Survivor Commander
Squad - Hunter
Role - Ranger
Loadout - Longshot, Deploy
GRANITO
* Game Organizer

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 05:54:42 AM »

I appreciate what you are trying to do because I had a close friend turn out to be one of these in my first game. My suggestion is to hype up being a zombie. Send out this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjcH2UmK1uo) with one of your messages to get people more positive about zombiness. The other thing is that people who don't want to play as zombies don't have to. They can simply take their bandannas off, walk to and from class unimpeded and let their starve timer run out.
It really surprised me when my friend simply turned around and went "well, I guess I'm not playing anymore." I hate that "I'm the protagonist here" mentality and that's a large part of why I wanted the zombies in my game to win. Unfortunately we had some ex-military players who trained the humans too well Tongue. Oh well, there's always next semester!

A player in our game climbed on top of the roof of the financial aid building so the administration got scared and said "you're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air"

Currently a Mod at University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG)
Rosewater
* Forum Moderator

Moderator & Invitational Evangelist

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 07:58:49 PM »

My suggestion is to hype up being a zombie.

Players here can obviously get pretty intense about being human sometimes. We found that having more pick-up mini games and stuff based off of UMass's Thunderdome let's people try being a zombie in a just for fun environment. A lot of times, they realize that being a zombie is fucking rad and anyone can become quite good at it with some practice. Just like everything else in life, people are afraid of things they aren't normally used to.

I definitely recommend pick up games though. It makes the whole game more fun and less FUCK I DIEDED!

John Mortara - Penn State Alumnus
- First-Annual Penn State Invitational Organizer 2010
- Very good-looking

Need help starting a regional/invitational game? Email me!

Quote from: Cweed
That's fucked up
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.