October 25, 2014, 02:59:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding new players  (Read 1796 times)
xilluzionx
* Game Organizer

« on: December 01, 2009, 03:06:38 AM »

Can new players be added after a game has started?

Sorry, this is my first time doing this and me and Sean were sprung up as moderators after the original ditched.

President of HvZ at Boulder
Stay Alert.  Stay Alive.
www.CUHVZ.com
Quigs

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 08:05:57 AM »

I may not be a mod - but I have an opinion anyways.

Yes, moderators can add new people.

Although, I would strongly advise against adding new players as this can create confusion amongst the players and whatnot.

I was in a game in which the moderator allowed players to join after the game started. Confusion arouse when several of the players that joined late where killed before they were added to the hvzsource site and thus didn't have index cards with id numbers. To at least avoid this problem, I would advise adding them and giving them their id number before allowing them to play.

For other details, including the actual answer to your question, moderators will have to answer.

If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? . . . And if you miss our heads, shall we not feast on your brains?
TheOtherTaylor

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 09:47:01 AM »

One of our admins (in a very hack and slash way) modified the website code so that during our whole first day of play, people could meet with us in person and we'd sign them up on paper then they could leave and register online.  After a couple of reports of kills with people who didn't have/ forgot their id we just fired up a laptop and had all new players register on the website while they were right there with us.

We had some major backup on kills being registered by the fist night due to people forgetting their id code and whatnot, but it resolved itself a few hours later when we told zombies to just keep checking back until they were listed as zombies.

Georgia Tech HvZ (co-creator & admin)
Sklover
* Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 09:27:41 PM »

Just let me know and I can reopen registration for ya.

Loading Please Wait...
GRANITO
* Game Organizer

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 02:41:53 PM »

This is a really good idea for the first or second time you play the game. It would really cut down on the number of non-players trying to play and messing up the game. The flip side would be people waiting until the game is almost over and then signing up. It could work well with smaller games though.

A player in our game climbed on top of the roof of the financial aid building so the administration got scared and said "you're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air"

Currently a Mod at University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG)
ShadowZero
* Game Organizer

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 02:24:22 PM »

There was immense confusion during the first game I played at Georgia Southern University in the fall of 2008. It got crazy with people joining mid-game and there were more humans roaming about than zombies. It was not a bad thing, but it kind of threw the game off as the zombies gained a momentary advantage in numbers, then new humans sprung up from nowhere. I do not know the stance the moderators (including myself) in our upcoming Spring 2010 game will take, but I do not know if letting new people in during a game in progress is a good idea. Perhaps we will do so if we can get a system for registration going... we plan to have an informational meeting before the game actually starts, but there may be people who cannot attend due to class or distance (living off-campus) issues.

By the time the game gets going, we will hopefully have figured something out.

Georgia Southern University HvZ
Experience: 1st semester moderating, two games in said semester
Specialty: Missions, Storyline and Disputes
lem

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 01:14:19 AM »

Hey,
I'm on the mod team for the Dartmouth College HVZ game. We use HVZSource.

We just closed registration and picked original zombies. However, it turns out that we've got a player who attended our safety meetings and signed our waiver but somehow never remembered to actually sign up via the website. Is there a way to add her to the player list before our game begins? There doesn't seem to be an option for this anywhere on the admin side.
Sklover
* Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 08:21:27 PM »

Shoot me off an email and we can arrange a time for me to reopen registration.

Loading Please Wait...
Deen

Bad Falcon! Lazy!

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 09:42:43 AM »

Interesting thread, think it might be a good idea in the first two games to let new people join? On the one side it's great publicity and you want the numbers to grow; on the other you have the slightly unfair confusion factor :/ 

We are grown up now and it's our turn to decide what that means
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.